Are home remedies or natural treatments effective for gum disease?
There has been evidence to suggest the effectiveness of the following over-the-counter and natural treatments for gum disease:
- Green tea has antioxidants that reduce inflammation in the body.
- Hydrogen peroxide helps kill bacteria when used as a mouthwash or as a gel in a custom fitted tray, but it cannot be swallowed.
- Warm saltwater rinse reduces inflammation and kills bacteria, but daily use will damage the teeth.
- Baking soda and water can be used to brush the teeth to help neutralize the acids that can cause gum disease.
- Oil pulling (swishing or rinsing) -- there has been little evidence to prove that sesame oil or coconut oil can help reduce bacteria that cause gum disease, but this is a popular practice. On a case by case basis, people have noticed improvement with this treatment.
- In addition, see the section on prevention of gum disease and on toothpaste.