(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Why is snoring a problem?

Snoring sometimes can be the only sign of a more serious problem. People who snore should be evaluated to be certain that other problems such as sleep apnea, other sleeping problems, or other sleep related breathing problems are not present.

If the snorer sleeps and breathes normally, then snoring is only a problem for the snorer's bed partner or family members. In fact, snoring often disrupts the sleep of family members and partners more than it affects the snorer. Frequently, partners of snorers report leaving the bedroom (or making the snorer leave the bedroom) many nights per week. Snoring may not be a medical problem, but it can become a significant social problem for the snorer and sleep problem for the bed partner.

Return to Snoring

Comment from: Fed Up, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My husband has been snoring for about the past 5 years. He snores with his mouth clamped shut (i.e. through his nose) and is so loud he can be heard from across the hallway with two bedroom doors closed. It drives me crazy, if we have visitors then I have to sleep (not!) in the same room as him, or if we go away, so I do not get any sleep at all. I have tried various anti-snore devices but nothing has worked, and even with me wearing ear plugs I can still hear him; his doctor just thinks it is a joke. It is no joke for me and I have had enough.

Comment from: Tsk, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 28

I am related to the person who snores. I would like to know in detail the problems associated with not taking medical advice for snoring. I am worried as the patient has been neglecting the problem for the past so many years. The present age of the patient is 36 years.