Sleep hygiene is one of the components of non-medical treatments for insomnia, and includes simple steps that may improve initiation and maintenance of sleep. Sleep hygiene consists of the following strategies:
- Sleep as much as possible to feel rested, then get out of bed (do not over-sleep).
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up at the same time daily.
- Do not force yourself to sleep.
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages or other stimulants in the afternoon or evening.
- Do not drink alcohol prior to going to bed.
- Do not smoke, especially in the evening.
- Adjust the bedroom environment to induce sleep.
- Avoid watching television in bed and for 30 minutes before bed.
- Do not go to bed hungry, but avoid foods that may cause reflux.
- Resolve stress and anxiety before going to bed.
- Exercise regularly, but not 4-5 hours prior to bed time.