Throat cancer (larynx cancer) facts*
*Throat cancer (larynx cancer) facts medically edited by: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
- The larynx is the voice box located at the top of the windpipe (trachea).
- Cancer of the larynx occurs most often in people over the age of 55 years.
- People who stop smoking can greatly reduce their risk of cancer of the larynx.
- Painless hoarseness can be a symptom of cancer of the larynx.
- The larynx can be examined with a viewing tube called a laryngoscope.
- Treatment of cancer of the larynx depends on the location and size of the tumor as well as the age and health of the patient.
- Cancer of the larynx usually is treated with radiation therapy or surgery. Chemotherapy can also be used for cancers that have spread beyond the larynx.