(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are date rape drugs?

These are drugs that are sometimes used to assist a sexual assault. Sexual assault is any type of sexual activity that a person does not agree to. It can include touching that is not okay; putting something into the vagina; sexual intercourse; rape; and attempted rape. These drugs are powerful and dangerous. They can be slipped into your drink when you are not looking. The drugs often have no color, smell, or taste, so you can't tell if you are being drugged. The drugs can make you become weak and confused -- or even pass out -- so that you are unable to refuse sex or defend yourself. If you are drugged, you might not remember what happened while you were drugged. Date rape drugs are used on both females and males.

The three most common date rape drugs are:

• Rohypnol (roh-HIP-nol). Rohypnol is the trade name for flunitrazepam (FLOO-neye-TRAZ-uh-pam). Abuse of two similar drugs appears to have replaced Rohypnol abuse in some parts of the United States. These are: clonazepam (marketed as Klonopin in the U.S. and Rivotril in Mexico) and alprazolam (marketed as Xanax). Rohypnol is also known as:
    • Circles
    • Rophies
    • Ruffies
    • Trip-and-Fall
    • Whiteys
  • GHB, which is short for gamma hydroxybutyric (GAM-muh heye-DROX-ee-BYOO-tur-ihk) acid. GHB is also known as:
    • Bedtime Scoop
    • G-Juice
    • Gook
    • Goop
    • Great Hormones
    • Grievous Bodily Harm (GBH)
    • Liquid E
    • Psychedelic Heroin
    • Purple
    • Special K
    • Super Acid

These drugs also are known as "club drugs" because they tend to be used at dance clubs, concerts, and "raves."

The term "date rape" is widely used. But most experts prefer the term "drug-facilitated sexual assault." These drugs also are used to help people commit other crimes, like robbery and physical assault. They are used on both men and women. The term "date rape" also can be misleading because the person who commits the crime might not be dating the victim. Rather, it could be an acquaintance or stranger.

Return to Date Rape Drugs

Comment from: terry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I have been date raped with a drug. A friend was a fantasy dreamer. I had bad effects after the incident. Black outs, headache, tiredness, chills, hot flashes, and nausea like the flu. I locked my doors. I am glad I got away from all this after 3 years.

Comment from: lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

On two occasions I was given a beer and blacked out. I believe both were the date rape drug. I was unable to form conscious thought afterward. It took decades before I could consciously say I was attacked with the date rape drug. It destroyed college and my behavior at times is like I was operating multiple personalities. In my mind a sane person would not drink and take the chance.

Comment from: Ginnyl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I went to a house party and was given two drinks. I only sip my drinks and never had been drunk until this night. I remember waking up on a couch as a 'friend' carried me upstairs to a bedroom. I was raped by several guys. I quit college and moved a thousand miles away, I even changed my name. I'm getting professional help and will not let this ruin my life.