(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Can deep vein thrombosis (DVT) be prevented?

• Minimize risk factors for DVT, for example, quit smoking (especially if the person also is taking birth control pills or hormone therapy).
  • In the hospital setting, the staff works hard to provide DVT prophylaxis to minimize the potential for clot formation in immobilized patients. Surgery patients are out of bed walking (ambulatory) earlier and low dose heparin or enoxaparin is being used for deep vein thrombosis prophylaxis (measures taken to prevent DVT).
  • When traveling it is recommended that you get up and walk every couple of hours during a long trip.
Return to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs)

Comment from: sanele, Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I gave birth in 2012 to a healthy baby girl through C-section and since then I have been diagnosed with deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and I have been on and off taking warfarin tablets. Sometimes my leg swells up because now I have been off the medication for four months. I get cramps at night when am sleeping, whenever I try and stretch myself and also my toes are not functioning the way they are supposed to.