(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are the treatment guidelines for deep vein thrombosis (DVT)?

The treatment for deep venous thrombosis is anticoagulation or "thinning the blood" with medications.

The recommended length of treatment for an uncomplicated DVT is three months. Depending upon the patient's situation, underlying medical conditions and the reason for developing a DVT, a longer duration of anticoagulation may be required. At three months, the health-care professional should evaluate the patient in regard to the potential for future blood clot formation. If the decision is made to continue anticoagulation over the long term, the risk/reward decision of preventing clots versus bleeding risk should occur every year to decide if anticoagulation is still a reasonable treatment.

There are times when anticoagulation may have increased bleeding risk, for example, if the patient has had recent major surgery (anticoagulation thins all of the blood in the body not just the DVT in an arm or leg). Other bleeding risks occur in patients with liver disease and those who take medications that can interact with the anticoagulation medicines.

Return to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs)

Comment from: wearywife, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 15

My husband is being treated with Eliquis for a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) behind the knee where he had replacement surgery on 9/21/2015. The last two days he has had more swelling in leg than usual and pain is not relieved by pain medicine.

Comment from: maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Nineteen years ago I developed femoral, pelvic, and lung (pulmonary embolism) clots and was placed on heparin drip then Coumadin. About 3 weeks ago I was prepared for pelvic fracture surgery. I was taken off Coumadin, given Lovenox for about a week, for deep vein thrombosis. I had surgery. Post operation I was given Lovenox. I developed a severe hemorrhage and received at least 8 units of blood (PRC-packed red blood cells) and many units of plasma. I was taken back to surgery to remove a huge hematoma. Then I was given heparin. All were discontinued at discharge. Three days later I developed left calf pain. Four days after discharge, an ultra sound was done and a clot was found behind the left knee and descending. I was placed back on Lovenox for 8 days.