What causes insulin resistance?
There are several causes for insulin resistance, and genetic factors (inherited component) are usually significant. Some medications can contribute to insulin resistance. In addition, insulin resistance is often seen with the following conditions:
- The metabolic syndrome is a group of conditions involving excess weight (particularly around the waist), high blood pressure, and elevated levels of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood.
- Infection or severe illness
- Inactivity and excess weight
- During steroid use
Other causes of or factors that may worsen insulin resistance can include:
- Taking certain medications
- Older age
- Sleep problems (especially sleep apnea)
- Cigarette smoking