(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Three classic signs and symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy

The three classic signs and symptoms of ectopic pregnancy include:

• abdominal pain,
  • the absence of menstrual periods (amenorrhea), and
  • vaginal bleeding or intermittent bleeding (spotting).

However, about 50% of females with an ectopic pregnancy will not have all three signs.

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy

Comment from: LAT90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

When I had my ectopic pregnancy (EP) I had normal pregnancy symptoms at first, like sore breasts and frequent urination. I also had diarrhea for a couple of days, and then I'd only had a positive pregnancy test for 24 hours when I started spotting lightly at first, then slightly heavier. It didn't get very heavy until they gave me methotrexate. The ultrasound didn't show anything, it was only the fact that I had a very diligent sonographer who triple checked when she thought she might have seen a slight shadow in the tube. It was ruled EP and I was given methotrexate.

Comment from: Mis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2013. It was horrible because my fiance and I had been trying for one year. Once I got a positive we went to the doctor, but they said my levels were low. I had an ultra sound and there was nothing there, my womb was empty. Once they found out it was ectopic they scheduled a D and C and removed my right fallopian tubes along with our baby. I was never in any pain, but I missed my menses. I was late, so I used a cheap home pregnancy test. I was left with 2 ovaries and 1 fallopian tube. I was told I would have 50/50 chance at getting pregnant. I was pregnant in August 2012 and had my beautiful healthy son May 2013. I had my D and C in April, so it is good. Despite the emotional stress it put on us I am thankful.

Comment from: madonna jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had an ectopic pregnancy (EP) in February 2014, I was 6 weeks pregnant. My partner and I had been trying for over a year but no luck; I had two miscarriages before the EP. It started with light cramps and spotting and because of the two miscarriages I had before I was worried of it being another so I went to the hospital and the doctor told me it was normal and sent me home like he didn't care. The next day I started getting bad back pain in my left side and wouldn't go away I went to the hospital again and they turned me away so did my general physician. After 7 days of the worst pain I've ever felt and the bleeding getting worse I went to the early pregnancy unit where they checked me out within 5 minutes of being there. They took some blood and I had an internal ultra-scan and they told me I was having an EP. I was so scared and before I knew it I was rushed to have emergency surgery to remove the baby from my left tube. I lost my left tube and left ovary. I am so grateful to the early pregnancy unit for all their help and support they gave me; I may not be here today if they didn't help. I have to stop now trying for another baby because of the risk involved. It's been 5 month now and I still get pain on my left back and pelvis. Ladies, you know your body and you know when something is wrong, as soon as you notice get it seen to. Hope this helps someone.