What are binge eating disorder symptoms and signs?
Binge eating disorder symptoms and signs include recurring episodes of binge eating without purging, excessive exercising, the inappropriate use of medications, or any other unhealthy behaviors that are often used by bulimic individuals to attempt to compensate for the binge episodes. People with this mental illness tend to engage in stress or other emotional eating, take longer to feel full, and are more likely to feel like they are starving when they are not. The binge episodes are associated with at least three of the following characteristics:
- Eating faster than normal
- Eating large amounts of food when not physically hungry
- Eating until uncomfortably full
- Eating alone because of feeling embarrassed about their eating behaviors
- Feeling disgusted with oneself, sad, or guilty after overeating
Also, the individual with binge eating disorder experiences marked distress regarding their binge eating.