(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is restless leg syndrome (RLS)?

Restless leg syndrome (RLS, restless legs syndrome) is a common cause of painful legs. The leg pain of restless leg syndrome typically eases with motion of the legs and becomes more noticeable at rest. Restless leg syndrome also features worsening of symptoms and leg pain during the early evening or later at night.

Restless leg syndrome is often abbreviated RLS; it has also been termed shaking leg syndrome. Nighttime involuntary jerking of the legs during sleep are also known as periodic leg/limb movement disorder.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: ChristyV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was having restless leg syndrome in my right leg, enough to keep me up most of the night. I spoke with my doctor. She knows medicines are always my last resort. I am awful about drinking water. She told me to drink lots and lots of water, especially Seltzer water. I did some research and decided to add magnesium with chelated zinc. I take three 400 mg tablets a day. I couldn't believe that my restless leg stopped. But I'm a lazy vitamin taker. I went two days not taking vitamins and my restless leg came back one night. I got up and took the magnesium tablets and within 1/2 an hour it quit.

Comment from: Elvis, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

It's almost 5 am and I've been up since 3 am. I rarely sleep more than one or two hours a night and wake crying out with pain in my legs and hideous burning in my feet. My mother also had restless leg syndrome. I fall asleep with an icepack on my feet. Medical science may say this condition is not life-threatening but how long can a person go on with such poor sleep!

Comment from: brandygirl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

This works for me every time. I keep a couple of bottles of water in the freezer. When I start to have symptoms of restless leg syndrome I take a bottle out and rub it up and down my calves on both sides, also the bottom of my feet, for about five minutes total. It may not feel like at that time that it has done any good, but it always has, and I can fall asleep then.