(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is a Dupuytren's contracture?

A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue around the tendons that flex the fingers beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring accumulates in a tissue (palmar fascia) that normally covers the tendons that pull the fingers to grip. As a Dupuytren's contracture progresses, more of the fascia becomes thickened and shortened. Dimpling and puckering of the skin over the area eventually occurs and ultimately can make it impossible to fully extend the fingers (as in laying the hand flat on a tabletop).

Return to Dupuytren's Contracture

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I had hand (left) surgery in 2000 and 6 months later at a checkup with the specialist he told me I had developed Dupuytren's contracture. I now have it in my right hand after having surgery. The specialist said that having surgery put trauma to the hand and it brought out Dupuytren's. I guess I am lucky that I don't have a lot of problems yet, occasionally my ring finger on the right hand will lock up when crocheting. The specialist did say it was hereditary.

Comment from: EMS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I have had continuous urinary tract infections for the past 2 years. My urologist, gynecologist and primary physician have all given me antibiotics on a continual basis. Once I finish a schedule of antibiotics, the next day, a new urinary tract infection symptoms begin. I am looking for any doctor who can help me get to the cause. So far, no cause has been found. I am afraid that I am taking too much antibiotic medicine.

Comment from: Gerry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had both hands done with the use of Xiaflex for Dupuytren's contracture, the first one (right) at the end of January 2017, and the left done today (May 12, 2017). If the results achieved with the right hand are close to the expected results of my left hand, I'll be a happy man. I play guitar (left handed) and playing helped abate the symptoms (only the ring finger was affected) but it progressed to a point where the ring finger was of no use, so I made the decision to have the procedure. Within four days I was back to playing with a fully functional ring finger. There was no rehabilitation necessary other than wearing a small splint on the finger for about six weeks, but only when I slept. The full procedure involve about 10 days from start to finish, with injections on day one, manipulation on day eight and a couple of days for the soreness to go away. The most painful part was when the doctor injected the hand with Novocain to numb the hand before each session.