Carpal tunnel syndrome facts
- Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by irritation of the median nerve at the wrist.
- Any condition that exerts pressure on the median nerve can cause carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome include numbness and tingling of the hand.
- Diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome is suspected based on symptoms, supported by physical examination signs, and confirmed by nerve conduction testing.
- Treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome depends on the severity of symptoms and the underlying cause.