(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is pulmonary fibrosis?

"Fibrosis" is a term used to refer to scarring, so pulmonary fibrosis means scarring throughout the lungs.

Return to Pulmonary Fibrosis

Comment from: V Laxy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

In 2011 I contracted pulmonary fibrosis (PF) probably after a 45 minute walk on wet grass daily (in an open ground) for about 30 days as part of my exercise regimen. It started with a dry cough and mild temperature, and fatigue on exertion. A CT scan confirmed it and I am now on minimum daily dosage prednisone (7.5 mg), azathioprine and N-Acetyl. The disease progression has been slow, but spikes during colder climes needing step up in steroids. I have low immunity and do a lot of home rehabilitation and yoga exercise as part of pulmonary rehab with daily slow walk on cardio tread mill. I read about PF patients opting for stem cell therapies and also drug Actimmune. I have to discuss these with my doctor, who is rather conventional and loathes trying new stuff.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have pulmonary fibrosis. I had a cough. I noticed that I was slowing down. I was always active. I was a soloist in the choir and was having a hard time singing. I was hospitalized and they did a CAT scan and found the fibrosis. They did a biopsy on the lobes of my lungs. They put me on 6 liters of oxygen and steroids. The pulmonary doctor told me that I was going to die and said there was nothing he could do for me. I am no longer on steroids. That was 2 years ago. The scarring is about the same. My oxygen level drops when I walk. I can't do much. My husband does everything for me. I am attached to a 50 inch hose. I worked in a clothing factory and breathed in fibers and dyes and whatever was in the fabrics as I sewed, which I think caused my pulmonary fibrosis. I have a good positive attitude and enjoy each day. I never thought that I would have such a debilitating illness. I was always so active. I still haven't made the call to hospice.

Comment from: Raewyn, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My pulmonary fibrosis was created by the drug amiodarone which was given for heart arrhythmia. It has been a battle for the past year. Previously I was fit person. I lost a lot of faith in our health system. I am trying to stay positive.