(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Are there any remedies or complimentary/alternative treatments for restless leg syndrome?

Other treatments that have been helpful for some patients include:

• warm/cold baths,
  • electric nerve stimulation,
  • oral magnesium,
  • acupuncture, and
  • natural treatments such as quinine water at bedtime (tonic water).

Unfortunately, some of the above mentioned medications may produce side effects, so patients are urged to discuss any conditions that arise after taking medication for RLS with their doctor.

Anxiety may trigger or increase RLS symptoms according to some investigators. Consequently, many over-the-counter items such as lavender soap fumes or acupuncture, or other home remedies and natural treatments may reduce anxiety and thus reduce symptoms of RLS, according to anecdotal claims. However, there is no known cure for RLS and, in most people, any underlying cause should be ruled out by medical tests.

Return to Restless Leg Syndrome

Comment from: Rob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

The answer to restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a prescription dose of potassium citrate, specifically a 1080 mg dose with dinner. I suffered from RLS for over a decade, and then my symptoms became so severe that my sleep cycle was significantly disrupted. I tried many (if not most) of the home and medical remedies prescribed by doctors, but none seemed to work. Then I found one small research study. Now I take one prescribed pill at dinner in addition to eating potassium-rich foods like avocados and bananas. After a month and a half of this, my symptoms were completely gone. I hope that this remedy works for others as well as it did for me.

Comment from: Anne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I find that if my restless leg syndrome starts at bedtime, a cup of warm or hot milk allows me to get right to sleep. I hope this may help others.

Comment from: CrAzY LeGs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I've had it bad with restless leg syndrome as long as I can remember. It is a terrible experience, this I definitely know, as I suffer throughout the day as well as night. Potassium is one thing that really helps me. It promotes healthy nerve function, and it does help. I take 300 mg in the evening and 200 mg in the morning; might as well try it.