(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is done if an abdominal aortic aneurysm threatens to rupture?

Threatened rupture of abdominal aneurysms is a surgical emergency. Once an aneurysm ruptures, 50% of patients die before their reach the hospital. The longer it takes to get to the operating room, the higher the mortality.

Return to Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

Comment from: Amypz, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

Our dad is diagnosed with two aneurysms, one abdominal aortic, and one in his neck; the abdominal one is 4.5 cm. He is 89 years old, and stopped smoking about 30 years ago. His health was always great, then he had a quadruple bypass at 82 years of age. It has been seven years since we found out about the abdominal aortic aneurysm. He hasn't been feeling well, his doctor says there's no baseline for his condition, as most people with two aneurysms die before they get to his age. We know time is running out, he wheezes more, and is tired more; but he doesn't want us to take extreme measures, even if we're all present when it ruptures, let it go, he says; this is scary.

Comment from: Tenderhearted, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

My dad died in 2011. We found him on Christmas day. He had an abdominal aortic aneurysm that was found early on. But due to his heart condition and because he was a heavy smoker and wouldn't quit, they refused to operate on him. They said he'd die on the operating table. He lived several years with the aneurysm present. However, we don't know if the aneurysm killed him or if it was a heart attack. The autopsy was undetermined. He had a lot of stomach problems over the years. Now I wonder if I have the same thing. I've been suffering with stomach issues for a couple years now and I lost seventy pounds in a four month period. I also have papillary carcinoma thyroid cancer. I have yeast issues, when I eat anything with gluten or too much sugar.

Comment from: kitkat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

My brother died last year of an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). I did not know it is hereditary and 2 months ago I had one that ruptured. I am very lucky that I am alive today. The doctor put 2 stents in my groin. Doctor also said my children should be checked when they reach 55, also my other siblings need to be checked. My symptoms were extreme pain in lower back and dizziness.