(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What remedies or medications can you take to prevent nosebleeds?

The most common cause of a nose bleeds is drying of the nasal membranes. If a person is prone to recurrent or frequent nosebleeds, it is often helpful to lubricate the nose with an ointment of some type. The ointment can be applied gently with a Q-tip or fingertip up inside the nose, especially on the middle portion (the septum).

Many people use remedies for nosebleeds such as

• A + D ointment,
  • methylsalicylate/menthol (Mentholatum, BenGay, Icy Hot),
  • Polysporin,
  • neomycin/bacitracin/polymyxin (Neosporin ointment), or
  • Vaseline.
  • Saline mist nasal spray is often helpful (Ocean Spray).

Nosebleeds in children may be prevented by ensuring children do not pick their nose.

Return to Nosebleed

Comment from: bruce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 26

I have a low platelet count and had nose bleeds for 30 years. I finally got them under control. I use a small 15X makeup mirror and small penlight. Every morning I look in my nose for scabbing on the sides of the nostrils. If they appear, I drink 20 ounces of an electrolyte sport drink like Gatorade, or Nuun active tablets (healthier because no sugar). I wait 45 minutes and look again. Sometimes you need to do 40 ounces. Use a bit of saline spray to moisten the scabs, and sniff. The scabs break off and tissues return to pink.

Comment from: mayen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

My nose bleeding lasts almost one minute, but this happen always on summer days. When the weather is hot, I expect I am going to have a nose bleeding. It is sometimes twice a day and always lasts almost a minute. And after nose bleeding headache will attack.

Comment from: RLM5555, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had nosebleeds off and on pretty much my whole life. Some bleeds take only a few minutes to stop, others bleed much faster and take around 30 minutes to stop (though not often). At times when I was younger, my nose was so sensitive that even someone tapping my head would cause a bleed. The bleeding seemed to switch nostrils over the years which is odd because recently my nose doctor told me I have a deviated septum (inner part of nose basically shaped like a C). Thus when I breathe most of the air goes into my right nostril which dries it out and thus my body sends more blood to those vessels to try and keep it dry, once they dry too much and crack it bleeds. So it seems dryness is the culprit. Before I knew this I had both sides of my nose cauterized when I was younger (that doctor couldn't tell I had a deviated septum!) so don't get it cauterized if drying is the issue because that maybe lasted for about a year before it bled again. So now I use a product called Ponaris which is like a pine oil to keep it better moisturized and I also use saline spray. Though these products definitely help, it seems during the winter my nose will occasionally bleed and there's no amount of moisturizing that will be 100 percent preventive. If I'm sick I do everything I can not to blow my nose because I know that at any time it could bleed. I believe the only permanent solution for my situation is to get the deviated septum surgically fixed but I'm not going that route for now. Here are some tips to stop bleeds: if it is not bleeding superfast try to get some Neosporin in there with Q-tip to help seal the nose a bit. Sit down, stay cool (ice in mouth or packs on face), and relax. If you start getting nervous your heartbeat rises which slightly makes it bleed faster. Keep head above heart always. For me, sometimes a bad bleed seems to cause thick clots of blood that build up in the nasal passages, personally I have to have this cleared. I softly try to sniff that into my throat and spit it out like you do mucus and reapply pressure. If I have to, I will blow it out softly as I can. Breathe out through the mouth and breathe in through the nose, it may assist stop the bleeding. In my experience as bleeding slows down, if you breathe through the nose the air will help dry the bleeding vessel. Once again apply Neosporin, it will help seal it and maybe assist healing.