(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

How is GERD (acid reflux) treated?

One of the simplest treatments for GERD is referred to as life-style changes, a combination of several changes in habit, particularly related to eating.

Return to GERD (Acid Reflux, Heartburn)

Comment from: MissouriRN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

A physician I saw prescribed omeprazole for GERD. It worked, and I was on it for a year or two. Then I read that it can cause cardiovascular complications, so I decided to switch to an H2 blocker. I bought some Zantac and the Zantac (ranitidine) is working fine. A pleasant surprise was that after I stopped the omeprazole, my shortness of breath decreased! I feel better not taking this drug, and may have had other side effects from it I didn't associate with the drug. Due to the other complications of these drugs, such as bacterial overgrowth, my plan is to lose some weight and take Tums as needed as I wean myself off the H2 blocker.

Comment from: BABY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have GERD and I have been given Nexium but nothing has work out for me, I still feel the pains.

Comment from: Fiona, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

For GERD, I have been on cimetidine for years. I was put on lansoprazole which brought me out in rash. I am back on cimetidine now that doesn't work and all other medications make my skin itchy. Only thing am taking just now is Gaviscon advanced. I have got appointment to see consultant on 16th February. I had endoscopy in 2009. The general physician doesn't know anything else to give me.