(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are the different types of muscle?

Muscles are complex structures that cause movement in the body. There are three types of muscle in the body:

• Heart muscle pumps blood (cardiac muscle).
  • Skeletal muscle moves the external body parts, like the arms and legs, neck, back, trunk, and the face.
  • Smooth muscle moves portions of hollow structures inside the body. Examples include the muscles that line the esophagus, stomach, and intestines, muscles that line large arteries, and the muscles of the uterus.
Return to Muscle Spasms

Comment from: Marilyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 12 years ago and really struggle with constant pain. The past couple of years I have had constant muscle spasms in the trunk of my body mostly but sometimes in the legs and many times multiple areas at one time. None of my doctors ever seemed to associate it with fibromyalgia and have no clue how to treat it, and I am miserable because it happens daily. I ended up in the hospital almost in a coma from high lactic acid and rhabdomyolysis. Often lab tests show I continue to have high lactic acid but doctors haven't given me any indication as to why this happens or what I can do to prevent it. I drink a lot of water, take magnesium and potassium but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Comment from: judye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have been experiencing leg cramps in my left hip down since early part of June 2016 and the muscle spasms usually wake me in the wee hours of the morning. I sought chiropractic care in early August 2016 and I was diagnosed with degenerative scoliosis and I am receiving ongoing chiropractic adjustments and deep tissue massage. I am using ibuprofen and Icy Hot patches as needed. The pain has curtailed my activity level but I just try to keep moving.

Comment from: judda, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

After a heavy fall in on January 14 I have progressive muscle problems in my back. The muscle spasms started in my lower back and was debilitating, if I lay down I could not get up without severe pain and I could not stoop to pick something up from knee height. Over the ten weeks I have started cramping in other back muscles without cause or reason. The latest is below my left shoulder and is affecting my breathing.