(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What about bedbugs in hotels?

Many news reports in recent years have focused on the discovery of bedbugs and their health effects (even in upscale hotels), and a number of lawsuits have been filed by guests of fashionable hotels who awoke to find hundreds of bedbug bites covering their skin. Searching on travel-review web sites regularly reveals information and even photos confirming the presence of bedbugs in numerous hotels.

Since bedbugs can arrive on the clothing or in the suitcases of guests from infested homes or other hotels harboring the pests, hotels can be an easy target for bedbug infestations.

In addition to hotels, bedbug infestations have been found in movie theaters, office buildings, laundries, shelters, in transportation vehicles, and other locations with high-occupant turnover where people may congregate.

Return to Bedbugs

Comment from: Itchy in PHX, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

I was in Phoenix for a few days. The day I checked into the hotel I sat on the sofa and had bites within two hours. Of course I did not feel the actual bites, my skin started itching and I scratched and saw a number of small bites. I informed the front desk at the hotel and requested to be moved to another room. I moved to the new room, but that did not improve the situation. Over the course of the three days I was there, I experienced additional bites. I reported this to the front desk. One of the workers told me they thought they had corrected the problem. A manager was called to speak to me and she denied there was ever a bed bug problem and told me the bites did not happen at the hotel. I am back home, my skin looks awful and I cannot wait for two weeks to pass and my skin is back to normal.

Comment from: johngo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 22

I started experiencing major itching in a few consistent areas on my arm, leg and lower tummy but when I check the areas out all I see is a little redness that could've been caused by scratching. I'm not sure what is causing this but I have recently found out a friend has bedbugs in their home, and I have sat on their furniture. I don't know but I have never experienced itching like this without some kind of noticeable red bumps.

Comment from: DeLand, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

My boyfriend is living in a motel, and I get bitten every time I go to visit him. He never seems to have any bites, but I think he is just not allergic like I am. Every morning when I am there, I awake with new bites that are red, swollen, and extremely itchy. I recently stayed for 4 nights, and by the time I left, I had over 50 bites. I tried taking Zyrtec during the day and Benadryl at night while I was there, but still had the allergic reaction. He has examined the mattress and has not been able to find any evidence of the bugs, but this has happened to me the last 3 times I visited him. I get no relief from the bites until I go back home. Normally, I have a few pop up on me after I get home for a few days, but then they all go away until I return to visit him again.