(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is the treatment for dengue fever?

Because dengue fever is caused by a virus, there is no specific medicine or antibiotic to treat it. For typical dengue, the treatment is concerned with relief of the symptoms and signs. Rest and fluid intake for hydration is important. Pain relievers such as aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) should only be taken under a doctor's supervision because of the possibility of worsening bleeding complications. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and codeine may be given for severe headache and for joint and muscle pain (myalgia).

Return to Dengue Fever

Comment from: Binod Thapa, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I was attacked by dengue virus on 20th November 2016. There was a sudden rise of body temperature up to 202.8 F in the morning and the evening. I consulted my friend's clinic and he gave me some analgesic tablet and paracetamol for three days asking me to see him again in three days. I continued to go to my work. My fever was during morning and evening which could sometimes rise high and go low after the medication but after the temperature falls whole body used to ache. After three days my blood was given for test and the platelet count was 165,000/cc and dengue was positive. I got admitted in the hospital and was drinking plenty of fluids that included mainly pomegranate juice (fresh and can both). The next day platelet count went down to 125,000 and then directly decreased to 45,000 which was a very bad sign. I was shifted to the CCU ward and they started giving me antibiotic medicine through IV. Some of my symptoms were flatulence, difficulty in bowel movement, poor digestion and weakness. They gave me two doses per day of pantoprazole through IV and Tricaine MPS gel (anesthetic, antacid, anti-flatulent oral suspension), after which I got relief from gastric problems. My platelet count further dropped down to 20,000 and then I was transfused with PRP (platelet rich plasma). I got 4 pint of PRP, my platelet went to 22,000 and with another 4 pint it went to 68000, then two more and my platelet count was 98,000. Then he stopped the transfusion and I was given daily diet. The platelet count continued to increase and the on the discharge day it was 325,000. I am fit and fine but still on rest as doctor said proper rest and proper diet will keep me safe, nor can this disease return. My diet is chicken soup, pomegranate juice, fruits like kiwi, and beetroot. I avoid oily and spicy food, eat at 2 hours interval, and go for walks.

Comment from: Mir Riaz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I was diagnosed with dengue fever on 21 September 2015. I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days where my platelets went down to 10,000. I was given platelets transfusion and on the 7th day my platelets started increasing. It is highly debilitating and depressing especially to a sportsman. I am a fitness freak and swim for about 1 hour continuously. But this fever has really weakened me and I am still feeling the weakness.

Comment from: Sion (East), Mumbai, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed with dengue fever on 2nd November 2014. I was admitted to the hospital for 5 days where my platelets went down to 30,000. I was given platelets transfusion and on the 7th day my platelets started increasing. It is highly debilitating and depressing especially to a sportsman. I am a fitness freak and swim for about 1 hour continuously. But this fever has really weakened me and I am still feeling the weakness.