(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

How do you prevent the nose from bleeding again?

• Go home and rest with head elevated at 30 to 45 degrees.
  • Do not blow your nose or put anything into it. If you have to sneeze, open your mouth so that the air will escape out the mouth and not through the nose.
  • Do not strain during bowel movements. Use a stool softener, for example, docusate (Colace).
  • Do not strain or bend down to lift anything heavy.
  • Try to keep your head higher than the level of your heart.
  • Do not smoke.
  • Eat a diet of soft, cool foods and beverages. No hot liquids for at least 24 hours.
  • Do not take any medications that will thin the blood for example, aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, and others), clopidogrel bisulfate (Plavix) or warfarin (Coumadin). Do not stop taking any medications without first contacting your doctor.
  • Your doctor may recommend some form of lubricating ointment for the inside of the nose.
  • If re-bleeding occurs, try to clear the nose of blood clots by sniffing in forcefully. A temporary remedy such as a nasal decongestant spray, for example, Afrin or Neo-Synephrine may be helpful. These types of sprays constrict blood vessels. (NOTE: If used for many days at a time, these can cause addiction so they are recommended for short-term use only. Do not use if the patient has high blood pressure.)
  • Repeat the steps above on how to stop the common nosebleed. If bleeding persists, call the doctor and/or go to the nearest emergency department.
Return to Nosebleed

Comment from: Neoartiste, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I take vitamin C cold tablets containing rutin or rutoside 3 times daily till bleeding stops. Then once a day. Amazing success after nosebleed was getting worse after 8 days. This advice came from the pharmacist.

Comment from: Judy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had excessive bleeding during many of my periods and blood separation: large clots and pink watery blood. I had a hysterectomy at 33. I also had nose bleeds that worked about the same way: clots would be washed away by light colored blood. Sometimes the nosebleeds would last 30 to 45 minutes. My solution was to eat spinach every day and take vitamin K2 supplements that I get at the natural food store. Now when I get a nose bleed it is over in seconds! Wish I had known about this years ago.

Comment from: mshea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I have been having severe nose bleeds in the past few months. I take Advil for my arthritis and they told me to get off of it for a while. Also, when I went to the emergency room last night they give me this round clip like a close pin with sponge sides and it was the only thing that stopped the bleeding. They really need to sell these at the pharmacy and advertise them. I am going to an ENT on Monday to get cauterized.