Share your story with others:

MedicineNet appreciates your comment. Your comment may be displayed on the site and will always be published anonymously. Patient Comments FAQs

Tell us a bit about your background to make your comments more useful to other MedicineNet users.

Screen Name: *

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Age Range of Patient:

I am a: Patient Caregiver

Enter your Comment

* Screen Name will appear next to the published comment. Please do not include your full name or email address.

By submitting your comment, and other materials (collectively referred to as a "Submission") to MedicineNet, you grant MedicineNet permission to use, copy, transmit, publish, display, edit and modify your Submission in connection with its Web site. MedicineNet will not pay you for your Submission. You represent that you have all rights necessary for MedicineNet to use your Submission as set forth above.

Please keep these guidelines in mind when writing your comment:

  • Please make sure you address the question asked.
  • Due to the overwhelming number of comments received, not all comments will be published.
  • When selecting comments to publish, our staff will choose those that are educational and complement the topic. Please try to stay on topic.
  • Your comment may be edited. We would typically edit comments to make them clearer and more readable. We will remove personal information such as last names, email and web addresses, and other potentially harmful information.
  • We will not notify you if your comment has been published. We suggest that you check back on the topic article regularly.
  • We do not provide medical or healthcare advice, treatment, or diagnosis.

Thank you for participating!

I have read and agree to abide by the MedicineNet Terms and Conditions and the MedicineNet Privacy Policy (required).

To prevent our systems from spam, please complete the following prior to submitting your comment.

How Is Hyperglycemia in Diabetes Treated?

If you have diabetes and have any of the early signs of hyperglycemia, be sure to test your blood sugar several times. You will need to have a record of several blood sugar readings before you call your health care provider. He or she may recommend the following changes:

  • Drink more water. Water helps remove the excess sugar from your urine and helps you avoid dehydration.
  • Exercise more. Exercise will help to lower your blood sugar. Caution: If you have type 1 diabetes and your blood sugar is over 240 mg/dL, you need to check your urine for ketones. When you have ketones, do NOT exercise. If you have type 2 diabetes and your blood sugar is over 300 mg/dL, you must be sure that you have no ketones in your urine, and that you are well hydrated. Then your doctor may give you the OK to exercise with caution as long as you are feeling well.
  • Change your eating habits. You may need to meet with a dietitian to change the amount and types of foods you are eating.
  • Change your medications. Your health care provider may change the amount, timing, or type of diabetes medications you take. Do not make adjustments in your diabetes medications without first talking with your health care provider.

If you have type 1 diabetes and your blood sugar is more than 250 mg/dL, your doctor may want you to test your urine or blood for ketones.

Call your doctor if your blood sugar is running higher than your treatment goals.

Return to Hyperglycemia (High Blood Sugar)

See what others are saying

Comment from: LU.Gabe, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I was just put on a diet and you watch what you eat all the time. it has no cure and there no actual treatment for it

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors