Latest MedicineNet News
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions for relieving the itch and keeping your child more comfortable:
- Have your child soak in a warm oatmeal bath every few hours.
- Apply cool, damp rags across your child's body.
- Gently pat your child's body dry. Don't rub or scratch the itchy spots.
- Dab the pox with calamine lotion, everywhere but on the face.
- If your child's chickenpox are inside the mouth, feed the child soft, cold foods. Avoid anything acidic or salty.
- Have your child take acetaminophen to alleviate pain.
- Talk to your child's pediatrician about OTC medications that soothe itching, and creams that are safe to alleviate pain near the genitals.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2009 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors