Spinach Artichoke Heart Dip
You could make this dip ahead of time, keep it covered in the refrigerator and then at least one hour before the party, spread it into a slow cooker crock and heat on HIGH for an hour (or until bubbly) and then serve.
- 1 tablespoon minced or chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and gently squeezed of excess water
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts (water packed), drained and chopped
- 1 recipe of Alfredo Sauce (see below)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 tablespoons shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the inside of the crock of the slow cooker with canola cooking spray.
- Add garlic, green onions, spinach, artichoke hearts, Alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese to a large mixing bowl and stir to blend.
- Spread mixture into the bottom of the prepared slow cooker crock and heat on HIGH until bubbly (about 60 minutes). Serve warm with slices of wheat baguette bread, reduced fat tortilla chips, or reduced fat whole grain crackers.
- 1 tablespoon whipped butter or stick butter
- 2 cups fat free half and half (whole or lowfat milk can also be used)
- 4 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
Preparation:Melt butter in medium, nonstick saucepan. Stir in 1/3 cup of the fat free half and half, 4 tablespoons Wondra flour, and nutmeg and pepper. Slowly stir in remaining half and half. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to gently boil, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens (about 4 minutes). Stir in 1/4-cup shredded Parmesan cheese.
Makes 16 servings
Per serving (just the dip): 75 calories, 6 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 150 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 42 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.