Ginger Pumpkin Bread
This is a moist and mildly flavored pumpkin bread recipe that you can embellish with any other favorite fall ingredients like pecans or walnuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit of any kind.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg, omega-3 if available
- 1 large egg white
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat the inside of a loaf pan (8 1/2" x 4 1/2") with canola cooking spray or light margarine and dust lightly with some white flour; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl on low speed, combine canola oil, buttermilk, sugars, pumpkin, egg and egg white and beat until completely blended, scraping bowl after about 20 seconds. In medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, ginger and salt.
- Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture, beating on low speed only until just combined, scraping bowl toward the end.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (about 50 minutes). Let it cook for 10 minutes then invert pan and transfer the pumpkin bread to a wire rack to cool completely, if desired. Serve warm or cold.
Makes 10 slices
per slice: 169 calories, 3.5 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 178 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 26%
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.