Breakfast Tofu Burrito
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup soft tofu, crumbled (firm tofu cam be substituted)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (or use 1 large egg beaten with 2 egg whites, if desired)
- 1/4 cup salsa (mild or hot)
- 1/4 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 2, 9-inch multigrain or whole wheat flour tortillas
- Garnish (Optional)
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- Add canola oil to medium nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Sauté onions, bell pepper, and tofu for about 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the egg substitute and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are cooked throughout (1-2 minutes). Turn off heat and stir in the salsa and cheese. Cover pan and let it sit 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, soften the tortillas by warming them in the microwave on high for 30 seconds or in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Spoon half the egg mixture into the center of one of the flour tortillas and roll up like a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortilla. Garnish each serving with sliced avocado and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Makes 2 burritos
275 calories, 16 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate, 9.6 g fat, 2.4 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 570 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter