Vegetarian (Lacto-Ovo) Cheeseburger Pie
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups Morningstar Farms Meat Starters (or similar vegetarian soy substitute for ground beef), partially thawed
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper or ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups 1% lowfat milk or fat free half and half
- 3/4 cups Bisquick reduced-fat baking mix
- 1 large egg, higher omega-3 if available
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with canola cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, toss together the meat starters, green onion, pepper, and oregano and spread mixture in the prepared pie plate.
- In large mixing bowl, beat the milk or fat free half and half, reduced-fat Bisquick, egg, and egg substitute with mixer on high speed until smooth (about 1 minute). Pour batter over the Meat Starters mixture and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top the pie with tomato slices and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top and bake about 5 minutes more (knife inserted in the center should come out reasonably clean.)
Makes 6 servings
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Last Editorial Review: 2/25/2009