Desserts: Cakes, Cookies, and others
Cocoa Coconut Cookies (Wheat-free, Egg-free)
- 1/3 cup less fat margarine (a Vegan margarine like Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread can be used)
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup lowfat milk (Soy milk or Rice milk can be substituted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups Barley Flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- 1/3 cup Coconut, shredded or flaked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with canola cooking spray or parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together margarine and brown sugar. Slowly pour in the milk and vanilla and beat until blended.
- In medium bowl, combine barley flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda with whisk. Beat into margarine mixture on low speed, blending just until combined. Stir in pecans (if desired) and coconut.
- Using a cookie scoop, place balls of dough on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for about 8 minutes.
Makes 18 cookies.
Per serving: 120 calories, 2 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 3.7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, .5 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 92 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter