Desserts: Cakes, Cookies, and others
Tropical Treasure Cookies
This cookie features walnuts, which contribute plant omega-3s, monounsaturated fat, and important phytochemicals; and dark chocolate, which in small amounts may be good for the heart and arteries and may help lower blood pressure (thanks to the plant flavonoids in cocoa).
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup unbleached white flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons less fat margarine (8 grams fat per tablespoon with no trans fat)
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese or lowfat yogurt (vanilla or any fruit flavor works well)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, higher omega-3 if available
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips (like Hershey's Special Dark Chips)
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup walnut pieces (pecan pieces can be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan or cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt with whisk; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together the margarine, light cream cheese or lowfat yogurt, and brown sugar on medium speed until blended and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium to blend. Gradually beat in the dry ingredients.
- Stir the chocolate chips, coconut, and walnuts into the cookie dough with a wooden spoon.
- Using a leveled 1/8th cup scoop to measure dough, place pieces of cookie dough about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Per serving: 114 calories, 2 g protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 91 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 50 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter