Desserts: Cakes, Cookies, and others
Almond Streusel Cookies
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons less fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
- 1/4 cup almond paste, broken up into pieces by rubbing in between your fingers
- 2 tablespoons fat free half and half
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- additional sugar
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted (2.25 ounces)/li>
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a jellyroll pan or cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In large mixing bowl, cream margarine and almond paste until blended. Beat in the fat-free half and half, sugar, and almond extract.
- In medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, baking powder, and salt with whisk, then gradually add flour mixture to margarine mixture, beating on low speed just until blended.
- Use a leveled cookie scoop of dough (1/8-cup) for each cookie and place them 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Pour about 1/4 cup granulated sugar or colored sugar crystals (red and green are festive) into a small shallow bowl. Coat bottom of a glass with canola cooking spray and dip in the sugar and then gently flatten cookies balls. Dip glass in sugar as needed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 8-10 minutes or until edges are just starting to brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- For glaze, in small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, almond extract, and about 2 teaspoons water (or amount needed for desired glaze consistency). With teaspoon, drizzle glaze evenly over the cookies and generously top with sliced almonds.
Makes about 22 cookies
Per serving: 140 calories, 2.2 g protein, 19.5 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, 1.1 g saturated fat, .1 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 74 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter