Desserts: Cakes, Cookies, and others
Molasses Wheat Cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons less fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
- 1 1/8 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/2 cup mild-flavor molasses
- 1 large egg, higher omega 3 if available
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup less fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, margarine, fat free sour cream, molasses, and egg, by beating on medium speed until blended.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients in medium bowl with whisk and then beat into mixing bowl with margarine mixture just until cookie dough forms.
- Using a cookie scoop (1/8 cup leveled) drop dough 2 inches apart onto nonstick cookie sheet coated with canola cooking spray. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. Remove cookies from cookie sheet and let cool on wire rack.
- To make vanilla frosting: In small mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, margarine, and vanilla extract, beating on low speed. Increase speed to medium and beat the frosting until it begins to have a whipped consistency (about 1 minute).
- Spread 1 teaspoon of the frosting in the center of each molasses wheat cookie. Sprinkle colored sugar over the frosting if desired. Enjoy!
about 3 dozen cookies
Per serving: 116 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 3.5 g fat, .8 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 128 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter