Iced Oatmeal Applesauce Cookies
- 1/4 cup less fat margarine (8 grams of fat per tablespoon), melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit
Streusel glaze topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water (a teaspoon more if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, combine melted margarine and brown sugar, beating on low speed until combined. Add egg and applesauce and continue to beat until blended (about 2 minutes).
- Stop mixer and add oats, flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the mixing bowl with margarine mixture and beat on low speed just until blended. Scrape sides of mixing bowl with scraper. Stir in cranberries or chosen dried fruit pieces.
- Using a cookie scoop, drop dough (about 1/8 cup of dough) onto jellyroll pan lined with parchment paper, spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake just until set (about 12 minutes). Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make icing, in small bowl combine powdered sugar, water, and maple flavoring, stirring until smooth. Add another 1/2 teaspoon or two of water for desired drizzling consistency. Add cookies side by side in jellyroll pan and using a teaspoon, drizzle glaze over cookies.
Makes about 24 cookies
Per serving: 125 calories, 2 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fat, .4 g saturated fat, 9 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 75 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 14 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.