Desserts: Cakes, Cookies, and others
Chocolate Covered Candy Cane Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
- 11.5-ounce bag semi sweet chocolate chips (milk can be substituted)
- 2 boxes of peppermint sandwich cookies, about 66 cookies total (I buy mine at Trader Joe's -- they look like Oreos but the vanilla filling has crushed candy cane in it -- but if you can't find them, just use Reduced Fat or regular Oreos)
- Holiday sprinkles or if you are using regular chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed candy cane works well
- Pour chocolate chips into a 2-cup glass measure (or similar) and microwave on LOW for about 1 minute. Stir gently and if not melted, microwave in 30-second intervals until almost completely melted. Stir with spoon to distribute the heat evenly and finish melting the chips.
- Line two jellyroll pans with wax paper. Dunk one of the cookies halfway into the melted chocolate and scrape away some of the excess chocolate with the flat side of a dinner knife or use the edge of the glass measure. Lay dipped cookie on the wax paper.
- Repeat with remaining cookies until all the melted chocolate has been used (about 33 cookies per cup of chocolate cups). Sprinkle holiday cookie decorations/sprinkles or crushed candy canes over the chocolate of each of the cookies. Place jellyroll pans in the refrigerator to harden the melted chocolate.
- Place cookies in holiday gift bowls, bags or boxes, or on cookie plates. If you use about 11 decorated cookies for each gift, this recipe will make about 6 gifts!
makes about 66 halfway dipped cookies
77 calories, .6 g protein, 11 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g fat, 1.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, .6 g fiber, 60 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 44 percent.
© 2008 WebMD, LLC.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter