Prize-Winning Meat Loaf
- 1 cup V8 Picante (vegetable juice) or tomato juice
- 3/4 cup quick or old-fashioned oats
- 2 egg whites or 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with canola cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the ground beef and mix well with your hands. Add the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into a loaf in the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
Per serving: 195 calories, 25 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 6.4 g fat, 2.2 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 190 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30 percent. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.2 gram, omega-6 fatty acids = 0.4 gram.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter