Make-Ahead Lean Beef Kabobs
- 3/4 cup bottled teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 3/4-pounds top sirloin steak, trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 1-inch to 1 1/2-square pieces
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (red, green or yellow)
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks (or canned in juice, drained)
- 8 long, metal skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak several hours in water)
- Combine teriyaki sauce and pineapple juice in small bowl and reserve 1/3 cup of the mixture for basting. Add steak pieces to a gallon-size plastic bag set in a medium size bowl. Pour the remaining teriyaki sauce mixture over the meat and seal the bag. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight. If you are using bamboo skewers, soak them for several hours.
- Place bell pepper pieces and mushrooms (if larger sized) in a microwave-safe vegetable cooker and cook on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Thread steak pieces (discard bag and marinade), green peppers, mushrooms, and pineapple onto skewers (alternating meat and produce) and place them in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or plastic container of equal size. Drizzle or brush reserved teriyaki sauce over the top. Cover kabobs well and store in refrigerator until ready to grill.
- Preheat outside or inside grill for high heat. Lightly coat grill grates or grill plates with canola cooking spray. Cook kabobs on grill until the meat is cooked throughout (about 8 to 10 minutes direct or 15 to 20 minutes indirect). Enjoy!
4 servings (2 skewers each)
Per serving: (including one-third of the marinade): 340 calories, 48 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 8.6 g fat, 3.3 g saturated fat, 85 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 360 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33 percent.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee