Quick Broiled Asparagus
I love grilled asparagus. This is a great recipe for when you want the look and taste of grilled asparagus but only have time to fire up your broiler.
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray 1 bunch of long asparagus spears (about 16 spears about 8 inches long), trim the white ends off, rinsed & dried well
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flavored extra virgin olive oil (lemon or orange or garlic flavors work well)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper as desired (optional)
- Start preheating oven broiler. Cover a cookie sheet with foil. Coat with olive oil or canola cooking spray. Spread asparagus spears across the prepared pan.
- Using a silicon brush, lightly coat tops of asparagus spears with olive oil. Turn spears over and lightly coat the other side with remaining olive oil.
- Broil about 4 minutes, watching carefully. Turn asparagus spears over to other side using a fork or prongs. Broil other side until desired doneness (about 3 minutes more), watching carefully. Add salt and pepper as desired if preferred. Serve.
Makes about 4 side servings.
Per serving: 37 calories, 2 g protein, 3 g carbohydrate, 2.4 g fat, 0.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol 2 g fiber, 2 mg sodium (without adding salt). Calories from fat: 58 percent.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee