Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Casserole
- 2/3 cup pearled barley, dry
- 1/2 cup basmati white rice (long grain rice can also be used)
- 1 package dry onion soup mix (like from Lipton)
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (about 1.6 pounds), each breast cut into 2 strips each
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, condensed (Healthy Request)
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream (light sour cream can also be used)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups mushroom slices, raw
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted in nonstick pan until golden brown
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley (1 teaspoon parsley flakes can be substituted)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Combine barley, rice, and onion soup mix in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place chicken breast strips evenly on top of the mixture.
- In medium bowl, combine condensed cream of mushroom soup, fat-free sour cream, chicken broth, and sliced mushrooms. Spread on top of the chicken and barley mixture. Cover pan with foil and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove foil, sprinkle almonds and parsley over the top, and bake 15 minutes more. Serve hot!
Per serving: (if 6 servings): 343 calories, 26 g protein, 42 g carbohydrate, 7.8 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 52 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 358 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 21 percent.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter