Vegetables and Side Dishes: Side Dishes
Barley & Bean Salad with Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 can (15.5 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces (other roasted nuts can also be used)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook barley in gently boiling water or broth in medium saucepan with cover until tender and water has been absorbed (about 45 minutes). Let cool or rinsed with cold water and drain well.
- In large serving bowl, combine cooked barley (it's about 4 cups), garbanzo beans, nuts, carrots, and parsley.
- In small bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper with whisk. Drizzle over barley mixture and toss to coat well. Cover and chill in refrigerator for a couple of hours before serving if time allows.
Per serving: 230 calories, 7 g protein, 33 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 90 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 31 percent.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter