Breads and Muffins: Breads
Honey Wheat Hamburger Buns
- 1 cup water (hot from the faucet)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (also called flaxseed meal)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast (rapid rise, active dry, or bread machine yeast)
- Set bread machine to the “dough” cycle. Add all the ingredients in the order listed here (or according to the manufacturer's directions), but add the salt to one of the corners in the bread machine pan and make a well in the center of the flour and add the yeast there.
- Press “start”—a nice dough should form in a few minutes. After the dough cycle (usually 1 hour and 40 minutes long) place dough onto a floured work surface and cut dough in half; cut each half into 4 equal portions (to make 8 portions total).
- Shape each of the portions of dough into round disks about 3 inches wide. Place on a nonstick jellyroll pan or cookie sheet and cover with a kitchen towel. Start preheating the oven to 350-degrees. Place the pan near the warming oven or in another warm spot in your kitchen. Let dough rise about 30 minutes (or until double in size).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked throughout and lightly brown on top.
8 hamburger buns
Per serving: 245 calories, 7 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 296 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22 percent.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter