(HealthDay News) — Vaginal yeast infections are common in women, and are caused by a fungus that is naturally found in and on the body.
Latest MedicineNet News
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions that may help you avoid yeast infections:
- Don't wear clothing that is too tight, and avoid clothes made of synthetic materials.
- Wear cotton underwear as often as you can.
- Avoid wearing pantyhose or a leotard every day.
- After getting out of the shower, dry your genital area with a hair dryer on a low, cool setting.
- After using the bathroom, always wipe from front to back.
- Don't stay in a wet swimsuit or damp clothing for longer than is necessary.
- Avoid using douches, feminine hygiene sprays, or anything deodorized — including pads or tampons.
- Avoid colored or perfumed toilet paper.
— Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews, LLC. All rights reserved.