Breads & Muffins: Breads
Honey Wheat Buttermilk Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup less-fat margarine or whipped butter
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or coat with canola cooking spray).
- In large mixing bowl, combine flours, salt, and baking powder beating on low speed until blended. Add honey and less-fat margarine or whipped butter and beat on low until crumbly. Add buttermilk and beat on low just until dough forms.
- Dust flat surface with a few tablespoons of unbleached white flour. Press biscuit dough out to about an 8- or 9-inch square (about 1-inch thick). Cut dough using a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter and place biscuits on prepared baking sheet. Reroll scraps only once. Bake until golden (about 18 minutes).
Per biscuit (11 per recipe): 220 calories, 7 g protein, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 447 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20 percent.
© 2008 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter