Veggie Microwave Frittata (for two)
This is a tasty breakfast dish for two made in about 10 minutes. You can garnish each serving with fresh chopped tomato or salsa and/or avocado wedges.
- 1 1/4 cup shredded frozen hash browns (no fat grams per serving)
- 2/3 cup shredded or grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (or 1 1/2 teaspoon' parsley flakes)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or canola oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
- 2 large eggs (higher omega-3 fatty acids if available)
- 1/2 cups egg substitute
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- Two dashes hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco)
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- In a microwave-safe 1-quart casserole dish, combine potatoes, carrot, onion, parsley and oil. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 90 seconds. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg substitute, milk, mustard and hot pepper sauce by beating on medium speed for a minute or two. Pour egg mixture into casserole dish and stir to combine with potato mixture.
- Cover dish (waxed paper will work) and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes. Draw cooked egg toward the middle of dish and the liquid egg toward the edges and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle cheese on top, and microwave until cheese is melted (about 30 seconds more). Let stand a few minutes before serving.
Per serving: 280 calories, 20 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 4.3 g saturated fat, 6.2 g monounsaturated fat, 1.2 g polyunsaturated fat, 218 mg cholesterol, 2.2 g fiber, 296 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 42 percent.
© 2008 Elaine Magee