Soups & Sandwiches: Sandwiches
Smoked Salmon Crostini
- 16 slices thin, cocktail-size rye bread or sourdough baguette slices
- 2/3 cup light cream cheese (from a block works best)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions or scallions
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- Tabasco sauce
- 8 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 teaspoons caviar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread slices on a large nonstick cookie sheet and lightly coat tops with canola cooking spray and bake until toasted golden (about 8 minutes).
- In food processor bowl, combine cream cheese, green onion, dill, capers, Tabasco. Process until the cheese is fluffy, stopping the machine from time to time to scrape down the sides of the bowl (about 1 minute).
- To assemble, spread the cream cheese mixture onto the toast slices, top each slice with a piece of salmon and then top that with 1/8 teaspoon caviar if desired.
8 appetizer servings
Per serving: 93 calories, 9 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 3.3 g fat, 1.3 g saturated fat, 13 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 730 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 32 percent.
© 2008 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter