Baked Tostado Tower
- 1 cup fat-free or vegetarian refried beans
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (from envelope)
- 4 corn tortillas, larger sized
- 2 cups shredded roasted chicken breast (skinless)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheese of choice (jack, cheddar, or blend)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, white and part of green
- 1 cup salsa of choice
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Warm up the refried beans in a nonstick saucepan or in the microwave until soft. Stir in the taco seasoning. Combine shredded chicken, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions in a medium-size bowl and toss to blend well.
- Place one of the corn tortillas in a 9-inch round or square baking dish and spread 1/3 cup of the bean mixture over the top. Top with about 1 cup of the chicken mixture, then spread 1/3-cup salsa over the top.
- Repeat step No. 2 until you get to the last layer and then just top that tortilla with the remaining chicken mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover dish and bake for 10 minutes more. Cut into 4 wedges and top each wedge with 1/4 cup of sour cream and some sliced or chopped avocado if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 440 calories, 40 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 83 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 835 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 24 percent.
© 2008 Elaine Magee