Spinach, Leek and Roasted Red Pepper Gratin
- 2 (10-ounce) bags fresh spinach or 3 10-ounce boxes frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 bunch of leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, seeded, peeled, and chopped (can substitute a 12-ounce jar in water)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup light cream cheese
- 3/4cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove large stems from spinach. Tear spinach into 1-inch pieces; place in a colander. Rinse spinach under cold water; drain. Set aside. If using frozen, defrost and squeeze out excess water.
- Sautee spinach until wilted, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Place olive oil in pan over medium heat, add leaks, red peppers and garlic, saute for 4-5 minutes or until softened. Add cream cheese and heat to combine. Add spinach, milk, basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Place mixture in a 1-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over spinach. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
per serving: 128 calories, 6 g protein, 15 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat, 2.3 g saturated fat, 35% calories from fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, and 316 mg sodium.
Recipe provided by Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD/LD
© 2008 WebMD Inc.