Light Swiss Chicken & Stuffing Casserole
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 box low-sodium stuffing mix (such as Lower Sodium Chicken Stove Top Stuffing Mix®)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 6 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 10 ¾-ounce can condensed low-fat cream of chicken soup (such as Healthy Request®)
- 1/2 cup fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
- Canola cooking spray
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or 8 x 12-inch baking dish with canola cooking spray. Add sour cream, 1/2 cup of the stuffing mix, and chives to a medium sized bowl; stir to blend.
- Arrange chicken in the prepared baking dish and spread the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the chicken breasts (about 2 tablespoons of the mixture per breast). Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- Add condensed soup and half-and-half or milk to the bowl with the stuffing mixture in the bowl; stir to blend. Spoon mixture evenly over the cheese-covered chicken. Sprinkle the remainder of the stuffing mix evenly over the top of the soup mixture. Spray the tops of the stuffing cubes with canola cooking spray. Drizzle the water over the stuffing.
- Cover pan well with foil. Bake until chicken is cooked throughout (about 1 hour).
Per serving: 373 calories, 38 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 87 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 638 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee