Appetizers, Snacks, Dips, Salsas and Spreads: Appetizers
Pesto Parmesan Cheese Bites
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons water, warm or room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 ounce (1 packet) rapid rise or bread machine yeast
- 6 tablespoons store-bought or homemade pesto
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add water, molasses, olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano to bread machine pan (unless a different order is recommended by manufacturer). Add both types of flour to pan, and add the salt in one of the corners. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- Select the DOUGH cycle and press start. After a minute or so of mixing, look into the bread machine pan. If it looks like the dough needs a teaspoon or two of water, add that now.
- When the dough cycle is complete, about 1 hour and 40 minutes, divide dough into 8 pieces. Cut each of these pieces into 6 small pieces.
- Coat mini muffin cups with canola or olive oil cooking spray and press each small piece of dough into the muffin cup to make a bit of a shell. Spoon a slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of pesto into the center and sprinkle a slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of shredded Parmesan over the top of each.
- Bake the bread bites in a 400-degree oven until crust is golden brown, about 12 minutes.
24 servings (2 bites per serving)
Per serving (2 bites): 62 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 1.5 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 118 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter