Breads and Muffins: Breads
Garlic & Herb Pizza Crust
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water, warm or room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon rapid rise or bread machine yeast
- Add water, molasses, olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano to bread machine pan (unless a different order is recommended by manufacturer). Add both types of flour to pan, and add the salt in one of the corners. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- Select the DOUGH cycle and press start.
- When the dough cycle is complete, about 1 hour and 40 minutes, divide dough into 4 pieces. Press and stretch each piece out into a circle about 7 inches wide. Top with your desired sauce (pizza sauce or pesto) and toppings (cheese, veggies, etc.)
- Bake the mini pizzas in a 400-degree oven until crust is golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
Per serving (crust only): 250 calories, 7 g protein, 45 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, .8 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 538 mg sodium. Calories fat: 19%.
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter