Eggplant au Gratin for Two
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup bottled marinara sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, packed measure
- 1/3 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, packed measure
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat both sides of eggplant with oil and place slices on an ungreased nonstick baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Turn slices over and bake about 8 minutes longer or until the slices are lightly browned. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Add both types of cheese to a small bowl and toss to blend. Place about three eggplant slices in the bottom of a 9-x 5-inch loaf pan coated with canola cooking spray. Top this with 1/3 cup of marinara and one-third of the cheese mixture. Repeat these layers two more times.
- Sprinkle the top of the Eggplant Au Gratin with the Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes or until juices are bubbling and cheese is melted.
Per serving: 264 calories, 16 g protein, 18 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat, 5 g saturated fat, 28 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 820 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 47%
© 2007 Elaine Magee
© 2007 WebMD Inc.
Quick GuideCooking With Greens in Pictures: Kale, Collards, Bok Choy, and More
Daily Health News
Recipes and Cooking Resources
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter